In each domain of specialisation, themes of applied research, experimental development and innovation are specified that are relevant to the application sectors. Strategic themes are identified and updated primarily based on the following questions:
- What trends and opportunities will affect the region in the 5-10-15 years?
- Which of the existing R&D&I themes can be linked to these trends and opportunities?
- What do we want to achieve through domain and theme support? What are the individual themes intended to contribute to?
- How to target the themes so that support for the theme has the ability to help
- transform the sector (in the sense of green and digital transformation)
- increase the added value in the Czech Republic
- increase the competitiveness of the sectors concerned?
Strategic themes are themes with the potential to support fields of activity within the domains of specialisation towards better prosperity and increase the competitiveness of the Czech Republic. Strategic themes include the sub-topics of R&D&I that either emerged from analyses or are newly proposed within the EDP process. The division into strategic and sub-themes is intended to make the RIS3 strategy clearer and to create more acceptable material for providers of R&D&I subsidy support who will be able to better target interventions for applied research in the Czech Republic. A detailed description of the strategic themes under the individual domains of specialisation can be found in Annex 1 of the National RIS3.